Wigan, Greater Manchester Circa £34,000 + £1200 p/a on call allowance37 Hours – Full-Time
Giving children and young people the foundations they need to thrive.
Action for children has been a longstanding provider of MST services and in this instance, you will be working within the Wigan MST service. Multisystemic therapy is a time limited (3-5 month) intensive home and community-based model that targets the proven systemic causes of anti-social behaviour with adolescents. The therapy is delivered through direct work with the youth's primary care givers, schools and communities to create sustainable change. This role would suit those wanting to work systemically with parents, care givers and schools to impact change upon youth.
As an MST Therapist, you'll work flexibly around the needs of the family to a clinical model (training will be provided on the MST model). You will engage and motivate care givers into changing their child's behavioural problems and increase their skill and ability to manage future problems. You will assess the families' needs and identify the priorities for you as a therapist to work with them on. Therapists visit families regularly in their home or place of convenience to address and work through issues and work collaboratively with other agencies and professionals to co-design interventions consistent with the MST model.
We are committed to supporting our team of therapists and will offer you continued professional development through both internal and external training. You will also receive full training in the MST model when you join, as well as receive quarterly booster training from an MST expert.
You will make a difference by:- Being part of a team of three therapists plus a supervisor and carry a caseload of 4-5 families
- Working intensively with your families as well as attend school meetings and other professional meetings as necessary.
- Working flexibly to best meet the needs of families is an important element of the service.
- Participation in a telephone on-call rota, providing support to families when they are in crisis.
- Being involved in weekly clinical group supervision to discuss your caseload and to support you in adhering to the MST model. You will need:
- Educated to degree level as a minimum, preferably within a related subject such as Social Work, CBT, Probation Services, Youth Work, nursing, speech and language, A professional qualification in a related subject (desirable).
- Experience of working with adults, parents, adolescents and families in challenging environments.
- Skills in delivering programmes of work to families and adolescents, preferably parenting interventions and an ability to take clinical direction and feedback from the team supervisor.
- The ability to plan and predict problems and devise evidence-based interventions and evaluate them.
- Strong communication and engagement skills to help care givers to changing their child's behavioural problems.
The way we workWe work to make sure every child and young person has the love, support and opportunity they need to reach their potential. If you share the same vision, we want you to join our team. Have a look at our behaviours and values to understand more about the way we work here.
Rewards We want our employees to feel valued and rewarded for the vital work they do. When you work with us, we'll recognise your efforts with generous annual leave, a comprehensive employer-matched pension scheme and a range of deals and discounts on our dedicated benefits portal. Find out more about our exclusive Action for Children benefits here.For safe and happy childhoodsAt Action for Children, we protect and support children and young people, providing practical and emotional care and support, ensuring their voices are heard, and campaigning to bring lasting improvements to their lives. Last year, we helped more than 387,000 children and families across the UK.
It is highly recommended that candidates ring for an informal chat prior to applying to this role. Please contact Amy Jackson, MST Supervisor on 07718 114032.
For any further questions, please contact Lynsey.Munro@actionforchildren.org.uk in our recruitment team.
There will be a 2 stage interview for this role. 1st interview date is scheduled for 21st April 2021, 2nd Interview date TBC.
We are committed to safer recruitment practices to protect our service users; therefore, all applicants are expected to have an understanding of and commitment to safeguarding best-practice.Action for Children is passionate about promoting equality, valuing diversity and working inclusively. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons particularly people with Disabilities and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic applicants, as these groups are currently under-represented in our workforce.
England South - Our Place - £9.64
Wales - Afon y Felin Flying Start Playgroup - £17,500.00
Wales - Flying Start Playgroup (Caerau) - £21,100.00
England South - London Independent Visitors - £23,000.00
Fundraising - Great Queen Street Office - £55,000.00
England North - Fostering North (Y&H) - £36,000.00
England South - The Vines - £19,500.00
Communications - Brand - £35,000.00
Scotland - Scotland Office - £25,500.00